0121 444 1913
Kings Heath Cricket & Sports Club
247 Alcester Road South,
This page last modified on 20th May, 2013
Several years passed before Kings Heath acquired prestige by the formation of a Cricket Club. Some claim that the original club was formed in 1860, although the earliest reference is found in a note in the Kings heath Parish Magazine of 1868, in which it is stated that on June 15th of that year a meeting was held at which it was unanimously decided to found a Cricket Club among the young men living in or near the village. The record continues by saying that "the rules forbid all improper language as well as irregular conduct, and are framed with the intention of keeping the club orderly and as far as possible self-supporting". Twenty-six members were enrolled on the spot, and the pious hope was expressed that "it is likely to prove successful, and will afford amusement to the youth of the village, pleasant occupation for their leisure hours and healthy recreation".
The first historical reference to Kings Heath was in 1541, when the district was a waste ground known as KYNGISHEITHE. In 1754, however, it achieved some significance by the erection of a tollgate house, and as late as 1858 tolls were extracted. Some years later Kings Heath obtained notoriety when prisoners were tried at the "Cross Guns" and at the "Kings Arms" (now known as "The Nob", where they were sometimes seen chained to the fire grates. Other wrongdoers were incarcerated in the "Stocks" opposite the present Court House.
History of the County of Warwick, by William Page, it is mentioned that the Kings Heath Cricket Club was founded about 1870, by Messrs. Ford, Whitehouse and Green, the ground being situated at Alcester Lanes End on a field which afterwards became the Horse Showground.